The Great Big Book of Algebra

5:33 PM

(3) Comments







Chapter One: Integer poetry


Type of poem: Tanka


Title: Adding


Adding integers,

Sometimes it's quite confusing.


When you can't answer,


You still find it amusing.

Easy task, thanks for readers.


Type of poem: Tanka



Title: The Pessimist (Subtraction)


I'm a pessimist


You'll find me the most fiercest.


Just make me happy,


And give zero pairs to me.


Then your problem will be solved...


Type of poem: Free verse


Title: Mocking Kid (partitive division)


Once upon a time,


When words doesn't rhyme,


A kid asked a question,


That will give you confusion.


He said, "Can you answer my dreading question?"


I answered back "Any question, I'm the best person!


He said mockingly, " Really?"


He took out a piece of paper, so crinkly.


Written on it is PARTITIVE DIVISION.




That sounds common.




I knew the answer right in my head.


If that kid mocks me again he would be dead.





"Partitive division is like playing a card game,



Giving equal amount of cards to your comrade."



"Now I get it, thanks!" he said leaving.

"You're welcome." I said waving.





Type of poem: Free verse




Title: The Kid of Destruction and Question (quotative division)




In the world of geniuses,





A kid caused destruction.




That caused everyone drudges.




So I went into action.




I talked to it, having no fear.




It only want to ask a question!




I listened to it with both ears.




It said, "Six divided by two!"




I know the answer in my head too.




It said, "Answer it using quotative division."


I replied, "No problem, I learned this in grade two!"


"You just have to write a sentence like this...

... How many twos are in six?"

"Oh, so it's like finding how many twos can fit in six?" it said.

" You got it." I pled.

" Thank you very much!" It said.

"Your welcome." I replied.


So, then it fled...


Far way to cause destruction.




Type: Cinquain


Title: Theorem (The Rule for Multiplying Integers/ Mel's Rockpile Theorem)


Theorem


Helpful, easy


Creating, proving, answering


Helps you understand better


Principle



Chapter Two: Script



Part One:



Larten: How's it going?



Arra: I'm fine, except for one thing.



Larten: What is it, I'll be happy to help.



Arra: I forgot how to combine like terms and distributive property.



Larten: I'll teach you.



Arra: n+ 3 -5n +12



Larten: I'll let you answer it first.



Arra: I think the answer is -6n + 15



Larten: -4n + 15



Arra: What's my mistakes and steps?



Larten: First, you have to circle the like terms, then rewrite the statement. Finally, simplify.



Arra: You forgot to tell me my mistakes.



Larten: You forgot to take the negative sign with the five. So instead of -5n and n it's 5n and n.





Part Two



Arra: Now let's move on to the distributive property.



Larten: Come on I don't have time!



Arra: I'm hurrying!



Larten: Guess what's the answer first.



Arra: 12n+ 10



Larten: First, identify the terms, then multiply the terms.



Arra: Ok then.



Larten: I think that you only multiplied 4 and 3n, you forgot to multiply 8 and four. So, you probably added 8 and 2.



Arra: It's so easy!



Larten: You're welcome.



Arra: Bye!





Chapter 3: One Step Equations









Chapter 4: Algebra Tiles



This is a videro we made in class. About algebra tiles. Enjoy!














algebra tiles from Louie Angela on Vimeo.

3 Responses to "The Great Big Book of Algebra"

December 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM
Great Job Angela! Just a Suggestion maybe put some colour or put the titles bigger. Great Job Again.
bea873 said :
December 4, 2008 at 9:17 PM
good job! Angela! o ya! Shaneille is right you may use some colours to be more beautiful and looks bigger,but that's a nice work,oh! once again good job!
angela905 said :
December 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM
Thanks for commenting on my work! All of you are the best commentors ever.. Thanks!

Post a Comment