Melanie's Big Book of Algebra

8:13 PM

(8) Comments

Chapter 1 - Integer Poetry

1. Adding Integers - Picture Poem (a poem that forms a picture)












2. Subtracting Integers - Tanka Poem (5, 7, 5, 7, 7 syllables)

Always think money
No such thing as subtraction
Add the opposites
Take away, minus, decrease
Negatives and positives

3. Partitive Division - Haiku Poem (5, 7, 5 syllables)

Divide, easy, share
The number of equal parts
Distributing, plain

4. Quotative Division - Haiku Poem (5, 7, 5 syllables)

Simple, numbers, plain
Positives and negatives
How many are there

5. The "Rule for Multiplying" Integers - Tanka Poem (5, 7, 5, 7, 7 syllables)

Multiplication
An even or odd amount
Product, integers
Positives or negatives
zeros, product is
Thanks for reading my poems.
Please leave a comment.

Chapter 2 - Combining Like Terms and the Distributive Property

Michael: Hey, Jenny!
Jenny: Hey!
Michael: Wow, long time no see. So how’s it going?
Jenny: Haha! Yeah, I know! Well I’m okay. I’m just having some trouble in math…
Michael: Oh, really? What are you having trouble on?
Jenny: We’re learning how to combine like terms. And, also the distributive property.
Michael: Oh, same here. Although, I’m doing pretty good on it. I’ll be glad to help you.
Jenny: Okay. Thanks, I would really appreciate it.
Michael: Haha, no problem. Okay, I’ll ask you 2 questions. So then, I know everything that you know.
Jenny: Okay. I’m ready.
Michael: Okay, Question #1, n+3-5n+12. What’s the answer?
Jenny: Hmmm… the answer is… -6n+15.
Michael: Umm.. sorry, but that’s incorrect. The correct answer is -4n+15.
Jenny: Huh?! But how?
Michael: Okay, remember you need to regroup all the terms by circling them?
Jenny: Okay… I did that…
Michael: Good, and then what did you do?
Jenny: Ummm… I did -5n-n, and then got -4n.
Michael: Okay… there. That’s you mistake. You made the n negative.
Jenny: Ohh.. I get it. Oops.
Michael: Haha. Okay, I’ll ask you the next question. But this one is about the distributive property.
Jenny: Okay.
Michael: 2+4(3n+8). What’s the answer, Jenny?
Jenny: Okay… I’m pretty sure that the answer is 12n+10. Is it correct?
Michael: …uhh… sorry, that’s also incorrect. The correct answer is 12n+34.
Jenny: Aww… well, what did I do wrong this time?
Michael: Well, instead of multiplying 4 by 8, you added 2 and 8. So, basically, you keep forgeting some steps. But just remember, practice makes perfect.
Jenny: Okay, thanks Michael.
Michael: No problem, Jenn. Well, I’ve gotta run.
Jenny: Okay then, see you later.
Michael: Bye.

I apoligize, for not having an xtranormal movie. Honestly, I did finish, but then it had troubles loading.
Thanks for reading my xtranormal conversation.
Please leave a comment.
Chapter 3 - One Step Equation Solving
Additive






















Subtractive























Multiplicative






















Divisive


I'll rotate them as soon as I could.
Chapter 4 - Solving Equations with Algebra Tiles

I'll upload the video as soon as I could.


Chapter 4

8 Responses to "Melanie's Big Book of Algebra"

shaine873 said :
December 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM
Great work Mel!!! I really like your poems,you did it great!.Its nice and very colorful..by the way i like your picture poem, its cute!!GREAT JOB!!!nice one!! =P
bea873 said :
December 4, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Melanie nice work nice using the colors and i also like your poems,ya!Shaneille Melanie did it great and it so nice and colorful good job!
elmane8-73 said :
December 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM
Great job Mel! Your poems are soo colourful, and i like the way how you coloured each poems,tittles, and the name of the poem. And i also like how you put the syllables in. And again good job!
muriel 9-04 said :
December 5, 2008 at 10:53 PM
great job mel! i like your poem and i like the way you use color with it, i also like your picture poem. great job!
December 5, 2008 at 11:31 PM
Great Job! I like the use of colour and the picture poem was big and easy to see.
gerico873 said :
December 6, 2008 at 11:52 PM
GOOD JOB MELANIE!nice colours and nice poems:)
melanie905 said :
January 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Thanks girls, and Gerico :P By the way, sorry I didn't have the xtranormal movie... somehow it didn't want to load. Well, thanks for all the comments (:
January 26, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Great Job again:P One more thing you should turn your pictures so their easier to read.

Post a Comment