Scribepost for December 2, 2008 By:Kara

4:13 PM

(8) Comments

Today in class we started ALGEBRA... dun dun dun.. actually its not that hard. We made a new little booklet about it too. We labeled the booklet "My Algebra Words." Mr.Harbeck also gave us our pink booklet about algebra.I'm now going to try to explain what we learned about algebra as best as I can, I'm going to use the example we did in class today. Here is an ALGEBRAIC EXPRESSION (an algebra question that can have many answers.)











Some other ways to say this question are: a number plus six


unknown number plus six


a number plus positive six (there is a pattern)



In this question n is the VARIABLE (a letter that represents a number)















This is not a completed equation yet, there are many answers to this question and you can only have one. It should be like this
















Now that there is an answer to the question, this algebraic expression has turned into an ALGEBRAIC EQUATION (an algebra question with only one answer).


Some other ways to say this equation are: a number plus six equals fourteen

a number AND six is fourteen.


Now you just subtract 6 from 14 and you have the answer









That is what we learned about how to do algebra today.

We wrote that example on the first square. On the second-sixth square was part of our homework. On the second square we wrote all of the different adding words. On the third square we wrote all of the different subtraction words. On the fourth square we wrote all of the different multiplying words. On the fifth square we wrote all of the different dividing words. Finally on the sixth square we wrote all of the different words for equals.


Our homework today was the first ten questions on the first page of the pink booklet, and the five squares on our "My algebra words" booklet.


I found an algebra website and a video that might be helpful.




Click
HERE to go to the website






I hope that the video helps too!!

For the next scribe I choose Myles.

PLEASE COMMENT!! COMMENTS ARE HELPFUL !!

8 Responses to "Scribepost for December 2, 2008 By:Kara"

December 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM
Great Job Kara! I like the way you put a website and a video in one sugesstion is the words in the paragraph that you changed colour maybe make them a bit bigger. Great Job!
kara 9-05 said :
December 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Thanks for the comment! I'll change it!
melanie905 said :
December 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM
Good job Kara! I liked the way you added a link to a website and uploaded a video, too. Although, I suggest using darker colours rather than pink, and you spelled "learned" wrong. Well thats about all the small mistakes that could be improved. Good job again. (:
gerico873 said :
December 3, 2008 at 5:54 AM
Your work helps me so much to understand this new lesson...GOOD JOB!:)
bea873 said :
December 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM
I like the video, you have a nice work kara good job!
shaine873 said :
December 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM
Good job kara!! I understand it very well..and the video helps me to learn more about our lesson..Good job!!:)
Leo-73 said :
December 3, 2008 at 7:50 PM
Good job Kara! It's very good to see that you put a website and a video! It's very helpful to others who still do not understand a little about algebra. Good job once again!
Zerlina905 said :
December 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Good job Kara! I liked your post, it was great. I liked that you added a video to your post it made your post spectacular. Good job again!

Post a Comment